Sunday, May 17, 2009

Farrah Fawcett, Her Story in the Public Eye





Farrah Fawcett, an American actress and pop culture icon, suffers from anal cancer. In the 70's and 80's Fawcett was a sex symbol to millions of Americans. In 2006 she was diagnosed with anal cancer. Most people would probably know her as one of the original Charlie's Angels, yet now, she wants everyone to know her story battling cancer. After months of treatment and chemotherapy, her cancer was thought to be in remission. However, in May 2007, Farrah decided to bring a videotape to one of her doctor's visits, where she was told her cancer was back. Farrah's Story is a movie documenting her battle, her determination to fight the disease, and her refussal to die from the viscious cancer attacking her body. Watching the documentary, I couldn't help but think how courageous it was of her to have cameras taping her at such a depressing time in her life. I couldn't help but think, I could never want the entire world to know me at my worst. She narrates the story, reading from a journal, and her husband (Ryan O'Neal) and her friends are interviewed to help tell the story.



The conflict I continue to think about is would I have the courage to do what she has done. She is famous, vulnerable to the media and the American public opinion, yet she wants people to see her journey. Shedding many tears, I learned that sometimes it is the responsibility of those who suffer to educate the rest. I am glad that I watched her story, and I think you should too. Just because someone is famous, and maybe you once thought perfect, doesn't mean they do not suffer like the rest of us. Watch Farrah's Story!

No comments:

Post a Comment